Hilltop SENCO

My name is Katie Osmond and I am the Special Educational Need Co-Ordinator for Hilltop Primary. I am a qualified teacher and have been teaching at Hilltop since I joined in 2014. I took over the SENCO post in January 2022. My passion is supporting all children to enjoy coming to school and love their learning. At Hilltop, we believe all children should have access to high quality education and we are here to support children as individual learners.

If you would like to contact me my email address is whark007@sflt.org.uk or alternatively you can call the school office who will arrange for me to give you call.

Please be aware my working days are Mon – Wed.

What are Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

Special Educational Needs (SEN) is a legal term. A child or young person has SEN if they have significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her.

Around one in five children has SEN at some point during their school years. Some children have SEN right throughout their time in school.

SEN covers a broad spectrum of difficulty or disability. Children may have wide-ranging or specific problems. For example, a child might have difficulty with one area of learning, such as letters or numbers. Or they might have problems relating to social skills or sensory processing.

What if I think my child has SEN?

You know your child better than anyone else. If you are concerned then please speak to your child’s teacher or the SENCO. You can also contact the school nurse or your GP directly to discuss your concerns.

Talk to the teacher/ Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) about:

  • why you think your child has Special Educational Needs (SEN)
  • what the school can do to help
  • what you can do to help

Your child’s teacher and the SENCO will use the SEN Code of Practice to work out whether your child has SEN.


What will the school do?

Schools are required by law to provide an education for all pupils, regardless of their ability or special needs. Every child’s education is equally important.

If the SENCO and your child’s teacher agree that your child has SEN, they will offer your child extra support. This could be in the form of the following areas:

  • additional support from a teacher or teaching assistant
  • special classroom materials and equipment
  • support to overcome challenges by finding different ways to engage
  • support with personal care such as eating and dressing
  • mental health support such as counselling
  • support for parents/carers

At Hilltop, we have a range of outside agencies working with us to provide the best outcomes for your child/ children, such as:

  • Education Psychologist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Speech and Language Therapist

Useful links:

Local Offer

EHCP Information

Support for Families




Medway Puzzles – Autism Community Group in Medway